Farmers, Ranchers, Gardeners, and Artisans

Interested in selling your goods on the Food Hub or at the Farmers Markets?

Selling your Products on the Food Hub

We want to make it easy to buy and sell healthy local food and by doing this we will help to improve the health of the community and the land which supports us. We work to ensure the happiness and health of future generations by facilitating changes in attitudes and perceptions of food and how it is produced.

Producer Requirements:

We value our local producers and we believe the following are necessary to keep the organization sustainable while living up to our values. Therefore, these are required of every producer in order to be a member of the Modoc Harvest Food Hub:

  • Producers may only sell what they have produced or harvested.
  • Egg handler's certification required from California Department of Food and Agriculture
  • Producers of raw food (fruits, vegetables) must be registered as an Approved Source Application in Modoc County.
  • Place of production must be locally owned and operated.
  • “Local” means operations must be within 100 miles of Surprise Valley.
  • Producers must carry general and product liability insurance of at least $1 million and Modoc Harvest must be “named insured” (this is usually done at no extra cost).
  • Producers are responsible for being aware of and following local, state, and federal regulations about the production and sale of food they produce.
  • Meat must be processed in a USDA inspected facility.

Overarching Standards:

We strive to provide the best local food for our community while improving the health of our land. Hub management, in conjunction with the Hub oversight committee, will utilize information voluntarily provided by prospective producers to ensure that their products are in keeping with our promotion of healthy food and responsible stewardship of resources. While local food is our core mission, it is not the only criterion that is relevant to a producer’s eligibility as a Hub vendor. The following factors will also be considered:

  • Soil Stewardship: Soil fertility and biology is maintained through the use of at least one of the following methods: cover crops, compost/manure, compost teas, mulch and/or low-till management.
  • Habitat: Insect and wildlife habitat is maintained with a bio-diversity of row crops and/or pollinator plantings, and by keeping uncultivated land around the farm.
  • Efficient Irrigation: Water is conserved by using efficient drip irrigation or other water conscious methods.
  • Non-GMO: No crops will be grown from genetically engineered varieties.
  • Inputs: No synthetic fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides are used.
  • Demand: Hub management will consider customer demand and may choose to delay or deny a new producer if we believe that inventory of a given item is already sufficient through the Hub.

For meat, dairy, egg, and honey producers we strongly encourage the following standards:

  • Antibiotic and hormone free
  • Feed that is always GMO-free, and local when possible
  • Animals treated humanely with low stress handling and slaughter
  • Grass-finished beef and label as such (grain finish ok, must label)
  • Pastured/Free range poultry
  • Organic preferred

For value-added or cottage food (baked goods, candy, dried fruit, dried pasta, dry baking mixes, fruit pies, granola and cereals, jams and jellies, nut butters, popcorn, vinegar and mustard) producers must complete the California Homemade Food Act Registration Application process (and obtain a class “B” permit).

Additionally, we strongly encourage the following standards:

  • Made from scratch with simple ingredient lists

  • With rare exceptions, such as a producer’s farm production outside of Modoc (e.g. citrus trees in Sacramento managed by a producer’s family), all products will include at least one local ingredient and labeling will indicate local ingredients.

Selling your Products at the Farmers Markets

For All Vendors

  • Modoc CFM Rules and Regulations: 2023 Rules and Regulation
  • Vendor Application: 2023 Vendor App
  • A filled-out load sheet is required at the end of every market. If you have a lot of different items, you will also want the load sheet supplement. Load sheets will be available at the market but if you want to start filling it out before the market you can get a head start.
  • All Vendors must have a sign posted with their business/farm name that states "We Grow/Produce/Make What We Sell". Here is a sign template where you can write in your name.
  • If you are giving out food samples, please follow these Safe Sampling Procedures

For Vendors of Produce, Eggs, Honey, and Nursery Stock (Certified Agricultural Producers)

  • Download a copy of a blank Certified Producers Certificate and Supplement. Submit them to Modoc County Ag Commissioner: 202 West 4th Street, Alturas, CA 96101. The Ag Department will assign you a number and return your certificate to you for display at your booth. Please also make a copy for Market Management to keep on file. There is no fee for this certificate. Questions: (530) 233-6401,
  • If you are selling eggs, you will need an Egg Handlers Permit. There is a $75 fee for this permit.
  • If you are selling plants, you will need a Nursery Stock License. There is a $150 fee for this license but you can obtain a Fee Exempt License if your sales of plants will amount to less than $1000 in 12 months.

For Vendors of Cottage Foods

Cottage Foods include baked goods, candy, dried fruit, dried pasta, dry baking mixes, fruit pies, granola and cereals, jams and jellies, nut butters, popcorn, vinegar, and mustard. You will need to obtain a Cottage Food Operator License by completing the following:

 California Homemade Food Act Registration Application

Cottage Food Operations Self Certification Checklist


Questions: (530) 233-6310,

For Vendors of Prepared Foods

Prepared foods are foods served ready to eat such as food from food trucks. This type of food requires a Temporary Food Facility Permit.  FoodVendorPacket.pdf and TempFoodFacilityApp.pdf Questions: (530) 233-6310,

For Vendors of Arts and Crafts or any taxable goods:

Accepting Nutrition Benefits

  • Any food vendor (with the exception of hot/prepared food) can accept SNAP/EBT (Food Stamps) benefits. Please download and sign the EBT agreement and give it to your Market Managers before accepting any tokens.
  • Certified Producers who would like to accept WIC/Senior benefit coupons:
    Please contact your Market Manager for a brief training on the WIC/Senior Farmers market programs. When you have been trained, you'll fill out an Application for WIC Certification and receive your 6-digit vendor number.